April 4, 2018

Reading Notes: Reading A: Twenty Jataka Tales

For this week I wanted to read some more of the Jataka Tales so I picked, Twenty Jataka Tales by Noor Inayat. There were ten stories to read and some of them were familiar tales while other were completely new. One of the familiar tales was the story, The Tortoise and the Geese. This story is about the turtle who cannot, not talk long enough for a pair of geese to fly him to a new better home, so he falls and dies. But what I liked in this story is they added a King at the end that learned a lesson. Most of the stories in this reading have a King that learns a valuable lesson from the animals in the story. I really liked this aspect and the added character of the King in the stories and want to find a way to incorporate this into my own story. The second story that I liked was, Banyan this story is very similar to a story that I had read and then rewrote about last semester (The Foolish Deer that Lost). The story of Banyan, is about two golden deer that are in charge of separate herds but the King ends up taking one deer from each herd to eat everyday. The two golden deers have the other deers take turns to see who is suppose to be killed for the day but on one day a doe of a little deer ask to have her turn later so that she can be with her baby for a little while longer. Banyan selflessly puts himself as the deer to be killed to save the doe but when the King sees that he says he will not kill any deer. However, the King goes on to say that he will not kill any creatures. I think this is a little far fetched and should be changed. I think it is great that the King learns a lesson but he went a little too far. The last story I really liked was the lesson from, The Young Parrot. The young parents goes out to eat rice every day but always comes back with rice in his mouth to feed his parents. I really like how the parrot even though he is considered the most beautiful parrot still thinks about his family. I would like to figure out a way to incorporate this lesson into my story I create. 



******


Image: The King.  Source: pixabay by Clker-Free-Vector-Images

No comments:

Post a Comment