February 27, 2018

Reading Notes: Reading A: The Mahabharata p. 83-132


How can she trust her husbands?

I continued reading The Mahabharata by R.K. Narayan pages 83 to 132. In these pages I was able to make many notes about different stories that could be created, but I will try to limit it down to my two favorites. However, I want to mention that when the Pandavas brothers go into hiding in King Virata court each of them chooses a specific profession to be and hide out in for the last year of their banishment. I am sure different stories could be created for each brother explaining what they did during this year and how they managed to survive as servants in a court instead of Kings. Also, I have one question about the bothers banishment, Arjuna reveals himself to the prince and to his uncle, cousins and teacher before the time limit is up. Doesn't that mean that the brothers were meant to be banished for another 12 years? I reread the part in the book multiple times but could not find an explanation for why the brothers were not supposed to be banished for another 12 years. If anyone can point out what I missed please comment and let me know, it is bugging me. Now to the stories I would like to create for this reading. The first possible story that could be created would be between Yudhishthira when he encounters his father. Yudhishthira does not realize that he has encountered his father at the holy pond and the yaksha is his father Yama in disguise. He just answers all of the questions so that have a drink of water and hopefully save his brothers. I thought that this moment lacked some important father-son bonding experience. Instead of Yama just bestowing a boon to the brothers I think he should talk with Yudhishthira and let me know that he has been watching him as he as grown up. The next story I could create would be about Draupadi not fully trusting in her husbands to protect while they are in King Virata court. First the brothers are warned to keep a close eye of Draupadi and keep her hidden and safe foretelling that something would happen to her but the brothers did nothing to prevent or help her when it occurred. In all fairness the Pandavas brothers did not do anything to protect her when Duryodhana was cruel to her in the dice game before. I do not think it is right for her to have such faith in her husbands who keep disappointing her and not protecting her. I want to recreate the story where she takes her safety into her own hands, not hoping that one of her husbands will help her out.





******

Image: Rosie the Riveter (strong woman). Source: pixabay by Prawny


No comments:

Post a Comment